Limited Edition Print
Star trails above Dinefwr Castle, near Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire , Wales
This image is taken from the valley below Dinefwr Castle to the south, looking up to Dinewyr Castle to the north, with the north star approximately above the castle.
The star trails show the natural movement of the stars over six hours over night. Their apparent rotation is the result of the earth spinning on her axis. The axis is almost exactly aligned with the north star - in the image you can see that the alignment isn't perfect by the fact that the star is moving.
The original star trail image at Dinewyr was hampered by night fog drifting into the valley. This image therefore shows the original castle image with the star trail from an image Chris made in the Atlas Mountains, North Africa.
A castle was first constructed on this site by Rhodri the Great in the ninth century, but there are no remains from this period. Rhys ap Gruffydd, ruler of Deheubarth from 1155 to 1197 is thought to have rebuilt the castle. Giraldus Cambrensis tells a story about a plan by King Henry II of England to assault the castle during a campaign against Rhys. One of Henry's most trusted followers was sent on a reconnaissance mission, guided by a local Welsh cleric. The cleric was asked to lead him to the castle by the easiest route, but instead took the most difficult route he could find, ending the performance by stopping to eat grass with the explanation that this was the diet of the local people in times of hardship. The planned attack was duly abandoned.
On Rhys ap Gruffydd's death the castle passed to his son Rhys Gryg, and the earliest parts of the present castle are thought to derive from this period. Llywelyn the Great of Gwynedd was now extending his influence to this area, and Rhys, finding himself unable to resist, dismantled the castle. Llywelyn however had it restored and held it until his death in 1240.
Shortly after, the castle came into English hands, though it is recorded to have been burnt during the rebellion of Llywelyn Bren in 1316. Towards the end of the 15th century the castle was held by Sir Rhys ap Thomas, who carried out extensive rebuilding.
Around 1600 Newton House was built nearby and the castle keep modified as a summer house. The remains of the large windows can be seen at the top of the keep, but it burned down in the 18th century.
This image is a Limited Edition Print of 450 for sizes larger than 12"x8 ".
Location: DINEFWR CASTLE, LLANDEILO